While a woman’s period is a normal healthy part of her menstrual cycle, heavier, more painful periods can be the body’s way of alerting us to underlying issues. If you are starting to experience menstrual periods that are more painful and with a heavy flow, the good news is that you can naturally find relief with a few lifestyle changes.
It is normal for a woman to lose about 80ml of blood during her period, which means she will need about 16 regular tampons or 8 super-tampons.
On the other hand, very heavy bleeding could result in the loss of about 500ml, which can be disturbing and needs immediate attention. This heavy bleeding can indeed happen to women of any age, but it seems to be more common among perimenopausal women.
Possible Causes Of Heavy Periods
- Intolerant to certain foods – (The GSR and VEGA testing at the Budwig Center can determine which foods you may have an intolerance to).
- Possibly too much estrogen and not enough progestogen in your diet – (The Budwig Protocol can resolve that).
- Iron deficiency.
- Iodine deficiency.
- Dairy intolerance -(often resolved with a switch to goat or sheep dairy products).
Natural Remedies Vs Heavy Periods
On the Budwig Food Plan, we have our patients eat more phytoestrogens that help make periods lighter. These include:
- Organic fermented soy products
- Linseed (flax)
- Sesame seeds
- Wheat germ
- Rice bran
- Organic coffee (avoid regular non-organic coffee which is one of the crops that is most highly treated with pesticides and other chemicals)
- Licorice root
- Natural artisanal beer
Download our FREE Budwig Guide to learn more about the incredible benefits of the Budwig Diet>>>
Supplements rich in progestogen are:
- Vitamin A, C, E, and B6
- Omega 3 (as in Krill oil)
You can find a complete list of foods containing these nutrients here.
Increase your iron intake with:
- Pumpkin seed (pumpkin seed oil)
- Blackstrap molasses
- Dark, raw chocolate (processed chocolate has few benefits, and most contain harmful refined sugar)
Other Natural Suggestions To Consider
- Turmeric (Curcuma) helps with inflammation. It would be best, however, if you also had a supplement with a high bioavailability such as COXAN.
- Avoid cow’s milk products to reduce inflammation and lighten periods. Dairy-free milk works for many, but it might take 2-3 months to see the full benefit. Goat and sheep dairy is often ok.
- We recommend our Food Intolerance test. One woman found that by cutting out white bread, her periods where much lighter and less painful. Many women find different types of foods that are negatively affecting their menstrual cycles.
- We recommend the GSR and VEGA test to determine if there are any underlying issues. The test may reveal issues such as a hormonal imbalance, under-active thyroid, endometriosis, coagulation disorders, uterine polyps, infection, adenomyosis, and fibroids. (Note that less than 25 percent of fibroids are the actual cause of the bleeding).
- Detox your system from estrogen, which is usually cleared through your liver and bowel. Taking vitamin B6, and the nutritional supplement called Calcium D-Glucarate can help.
- Keep your insulin low. In some cases, very heavy periods may be due to insulin, a growth hormone that thickens the uterine lining. Replace all refined sugar with Stevia, fruit and fruit smoothies, raw honey, Xylitol (in moderation). Also, magnesium and berberine supplements can help to balance insulin levels naturally.
Here is an example of a healthy dessert you can make at home that is high in iron and satisfying:
Raw Chocolate Fudge (Recipe)
- 250g bag of raw nuts (almonds, cashews, macadamia (best to soak the night before)
- 8 dates (be sure there is no sugar added as a preservative) – remove stones (we recommend Medjool dates)
- ½ cup (125 ml) of cold-pressed olive oil into a food processor
- Then add ¾ cup (185 ml) of shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup (90 ml) of natural raw chocolate powder (Processed cocoa has lost many of its health benefits). Look for “raw organic chocolate in powder.”
Mix well – Make into the shape you prefer and put it in the freezer overnight to set.
At the Budwig Center, we provide a series of health programs and packages to help you care for your health. Whether you have a chronic illness like cancer or are in need of a full-body detox, we can help.
For more information, take a look at these articles: