Dr. Budwig was in favor of hyperthermia. She wrote in her book “Der Tod des Tumors (Bd. 2)”[The Death of the Tumor, Vol. 2] on page 143:
“What other therapeutic measures do you advise, permit, recommend? I always reply: Everyone should do what they can – cold water treatments, hyperthermia, homeopathy, phytotherapy (herbs)…..”
“Sunbathing, taking a sauna or a nice warm bath makes us feel good and provides many health benefits. Heat can play a vital role and provide numerous health benefits while also treating cancer.”
Hyperthermia creates heat and initiates a fever-like state, causing an intense, sustained elevation in core body temperature, which enhances the immune system and thereby activates a natural self-healing process in the body. People often worry when they experience a fever. However, fever is a natural and vital defense reaction against pathogenic bacteria and viruses. During fever, pathogens are eliminated, metabolic turnover accelerates the detoxification of the body is in full swing.
“In July 2013, The Lancet Oncology published an article on the beneficial effects of hyperthermia (heat therapy). A team of clinicians headed by Dr. Rüdiger Wessalowski, M.D., of the University of Düsseldorf, showed that conventional treatment that included deep-tissue heating produced better results than surgery, radiation and/or chemotherapy alone .
There were 7 major findings:
- An objective response (i.e., tumor shrinkage) was seen in 30 out of 35 patients, or 86 percent of the cases.
- 16 of these 30 patients had a complete remission and 14 of the 30 had a partial remission.
- 10 patients who still had tumors after treatment received additional radiotherapy: 8 of these 10 then had complete and durable remissions (“cured”).
- The probability of 5 years of event-free survival was 62 percent and the five-year overall survival rate was 72 percent.
- Among those who received chemotherapy and hyperthermia as a salvage therapy, the overall 5-year survival rate was 78 percent. “
- Immediate pain reduction and the elimination of the usage of pain medications.
- No nausea, no discomfort; rapid improvement and improved immune system response were observed just after one session.
According to the Bicher Cancer Institute in Los Angeles, California: 
“The combination of hyperthermia treatment and low dose radiation makes this therapy one of the most effective cancer treatments with minimal side effects available today.”
The Greek physician and philosopher, Parmenides, 540-480 BC said; “Give me the power to create fever and I will cure all diseases”. The oldest known method of whole-body hyperthermia of the Native American Indians is the sweat lodge. The Egyptians prescribed baths in the hot desert sands as well as the healing properties of hot springs.
By 1900, the American physician, Dr. William Coley, started using fever-causing agents in the treatment of cancer with considerable success.
In 1927, Julius Wagner-Jauregg received the Nobel Prize in medicine for work involving the therapeutic application of hyperthermia.
Fever has long been misunderstood, but now many modern Cancer clinics and hospitals are starting to offer this hyperthermia (heat) therapy to their cancer patients.
What is Hyperthermia?
Basically hyperthermia treatment is using a special machine that exposes the body to supra normal temperature (41.5 to 43ºC / 104 -113ºF) to kill the cancerous cells and microbes, without damaging the healthy tissues.
Hyperthermia offers the following benefits:
- Hyperthermia is a constructive, health-promoting system, initiated and created by the body in its own effort to fight infections and other conditions or diseases and to restore health.
- Fever speeds up the metabolism, inhibits the growth of invading virus or bacteria and accelerates the healing processes.
- When heat is applied to the tumor, vital nutrients and oxygen are cut off from the cancer cells. This results in the collapse of the tumor’s vascular system and destruction of the cancer cells, which can then be mopped up by the immune system.
- Hyperthermia removes the accumulated toxic chemicals that cause tumors and diseases, improving circulation so that the tissues are both nourished with oxygen and flushed of acidic wastes and weakening or even killing the tumor cells, which have a lower tolerance for heat compared to the healthy cells.
- Hyperthermia can also be used in conjunction with chemotherapy and radiation. Studies indicate that lower doses are needed and the results are often better than that of chemotherapy and radiation used on their own.
As Dr. Johanna Budwig approved of heat therapies such as in hyperthermia, at the Budwig Center Cancer Clinic in Southern Spain we offer this therapy to our cancer patients. We have both types of hyperthermia: local hyperthermia and full body hyperthermia. Contact us to find out what would be recommended in a certain patient’s case or schedule a medical consultation to put together a plan of therapies including hyperthermia sessions.
+34 952 577 369