What is the secret of longevity? Bernando LaPallo of Arizona, USA lived to 114. He stuck closely to the advice he received from his father who himself had a very long life, he died at 98 years of age. The steps that he followed are remarkably simple: Eat plenty of organic fruit and vegetables, avoid eating red meat and fried food, exercise regularly and get lots of rest.
There are 5 specific foods that his father told him to favor. Watch this YouTube Video to find out his secret:
Here’s a video with Bernando at 111 years old talking about his love for the New York Yankee’s and that he was born the same year the team was established:
All those with chronic health issues such as cancer would do well to take a leaf out of Bernando’s book. His formula was similar to what Dr. Johnanna Budwig urged her patients to follow.
Here are the 5 foods Bernando favored and the reasons why Dr. Budwig also recommended them:
(1) Honey (raw, unpasteurized)
Dr. Budwig mixed a small amount of honey in Flaxseed oil and cottage cheese (quark or ricotta) mixture. She also fed honey and freshly ground flaxseeds to her patients that were very weak and were dealing with a loss of appetite and low energy. What is most important is to consume the right type of honey.
Raw unpasteurized honey provides the following benefits:
• Contains many important antioxidants which are linked to a reduced risk of heart attacks, strokes and certain types of cancer.
• Honey may help the arteries in the heart dilate, increasing blood flow to the heart and may also help prevent the formation of blood clots, which can lead to heart attacks and strokes
• Honey lowers LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, and inflammation, and raises HDL (the “good”) cholesterol:
• Some studies show that honey improves heart disease risk factors in diabetics.
• Blood pressure is an important risk factor for heart disease, and honey may help lower it.
• Applying honey to the skin has been used to heal wounds and burns since ancient Egypt, and is still being used today.
(2) Garlic (especially fermented black garlic)
Regular garlic has many health benefits and has been classed as a Superfood. However, regular garlic that has been fermented between 140 and 170°F for up to four weeks really enhances the nutritional value. Many who have trouble digesting regular garlic have no problem at all with black garlic. The flavor is also different. Black garlic can even be used in desserts and sweet dishes.
Here are 5 reasons to keep eating plenty of garlic:
• Helps protect the heart
• Preserves cognitive functions
• Provides plenty of antioxidants
• Helps to prevent and fight Cancer
• Regulates blood sugar levels and detoxifies the liver
• Enhances the immune system
(3) Chocolate (raw unprocessed)
Dr. Budwig permitted chocolate in her diet. However, she only recommended raw unprocessed chocolate. Why should we choose raw unprocessed chocolate over regular chocolate sold in grocery stores? Raw chocolate contains thousands of living enzymes that have not been damaged by the heating process used in making regular store-bought chocolate.
The huge amount of white refined sugar added and the unhealthy fats are just a few of the serious problems with most chocolate sold in the supermarket. Raw (naturally fermented) cacao and processed chocolate sold in bars and pieces are two completely separate foods. Also, raw cacao contains nearly four times the antioxidant content of regular processed dark chocolate, 20 times more than blueberries, and 119 times more than bananas.
Here are just a few health benefits of raw chocolate:
• creates a feeling of euphoria and balances hormonal mood swings
• contains over 700 compounds that help reduce ‘bad cholesterol’ and prevent hardening of the arteries and heart health
• thins the blood and can prevent blood clots
• prevents premature aging
• helps reduce body fat
• provides loads of energy and combats fatigue
• helps give shine to hair and strengthens the nails
• lowers blood pressure naturally
• reduces insulin resistance
• helps improve kidney and stimulates bowel function
• Helps the metabolism and restores internal balance
• Prevents sunburns
• Fights tooth decay
(4) Cinnamon (Ceylon type) More Than Just a Spice
Cinnamon offers tremendous health benefits, however not all cinnamon is “true” cinnamon. We only recommend Ceylon (“True” Cinnamon). Most supermarkets will offer the “Cassia”, a cheaper variety that contains significant amounts of a compound called coumarin, which is believed to be harmful in large doses. You may be able to find Ceylon in some health food stores, and there is a good selection on Amazon.
Here are some benefits of Ceylon cinnamon:
• Lowers Blood Sugar Levels and Has a Powerful Anti-Diabetic Effect
• May Have Beneficial Effects on Neurodegenerative Diseases
• May Protect Against Cancer
• Helps Fight Bacterial and Fungal Infections
• Can Improve Sensitivity to the Hormone Insulin
• May Cut the Risk of Heart Disease
• Has Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Aging Properties
• Loaded with Antioxidants
(5) Olives and Olive oil (cold pressed oils)
Dr. Budwig favored all cold pressed edible oils (especially sunflower, safflower, coconut, etc.) but strongly condemned all processed, refined oils, lard and margarine.
Here are some of the benefits of pure (extra virgin cold pressed) high-quality olive oil:
• Contains Anti-Bacterial Properties
• Protects Against Heart Disease and May Help Prevent Strokes
• Olive Oil Can Help Treat Rheumatoid Arthritis
• Antioxidants in Olive Oil Have Anti-Cancer Properties
• Olive Oil Does Not Cause Weight Gain and Obesity
• Strong Anti-Inflammatory Properties
• Rich in Healthy Monounsaturated Fats
• May Help Fight Alzheimer’s Disease
• May Reduce the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
Both Dr. Budwig and Bernando came to the same conclusions on what foods to eat and which foods to avoid for optimum health. Such things as whole grains, healthy soups, and salads along with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables were also part of Bernando’s diet. However, he listened to his father and avoided red meat, fried foods and all types of processed and fast foods. He also was very active, he regularly went for walks and was an avid reader. He’s a man to imitate to stay healthy.
Bernando LaPallo passed away on December 19, 2015, at age 114. He was living proof of the popular expression “You are what you eat”.
To find out more about the ‘original’ Dr. Budwig food plan, which for more than 70 years has been successful for cancer and 50 common diseases, click here to download a FREE copy of The Budwig guide.